You can get your hands on a book of students’ poetry from our first-ever Frank X Walker Literary Festival Poetry Contest, titled "Ink and Paper Verses," now! Plaid Elephant Books, located at 116 N. 3rd St. in Danville, has copies for sale. You can also buy them online at this link for in-store pick-up. Copies are $10 each. There will be two chances to have your copy signed by the poets from Danville Schools and Boyle County Schools at the shop during special student receptions and book signings, as well:
- Wednesday, Jan. 26 – 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. (students in K-5)
- Thursday, Jan. 27 – 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. (middle and high school)
You can also email Director of Arts Education Jane Dewey about purchasing the book at email@example.com.
All published student poets got free copies of the book. The festival was a joint effort with Boyle County Schools and other community partners and took place in October 2021. Here are Danville Schools winners, runners-up and finalists in the poetry contest.
- Danville High School students from left: Kirsten Blain (honorable mention), KJ Stanfield (finalist), Rory Cline (first place winner), Bella Sepahban (honorable mention), Aurianna Mitchell (honorable mention).
- John W. Bate Middle School students: On the back row to the left of the tree: Aubree Caldwell (honorable mention), Madeline Purdom (finalist), Cori Holmes (finalist), Jiana Rivera (finalist). On the front row, in front of the tree: Kainoa Kunimitsu (first place winner), Anthony Martinez Torres (honorable mention), Tala Griffith (finalist), Addison Haines (honorable mention). Not pictured: Ellie Pennington, Olyvia Morlock.
- Edna L. Toliver Intermediate School students from left: Christina Spencer (runner-up), Wesley Purdom (finalist), Javen Owens (honorable mention), Julian Sepahban (first place winner). Not pictured: Ruth Goodwin (honorable mention).
- Mary G. Hogsett Primary School students from left: Grayson Rowe (finalist), Isaac Perez-Gonzalo (honorable mention), Cristian Rodriguez (honorable mention), Taylen Ford (honorable mention), Lily Heska (first place winner), Hunter Godfrey (finalist). Not pictured: Hannah Knoll.
- Danville Independent Schools
- Frank X Walker Literary Festival Poetry Contest
- book signings
- frank x walker
- plaid elephant books