Welcome to Ms. Erin’s Counselor Corner! I am the school counselor for Mary G. Hogsett Primary School in Danville, KY. I received my bachelors in Psychology from the University of Kentucky and my Masters in Education in School Guidance Counseling from Campbellsville University. I am currently working on my play therapy certification as well! In my free time, I like to hike, kayak, travel, read, and spend time with friends and family.
The Role Of The School Counselor
As a school counselor I have the joy of working with students through classroom guidance lessons, small group counseling, and individual counseling. I also collaborate with school staff and parents in order to best meet the needs of students. I teach students a variety of skills from emotion identification, to friendships, to safety.
Classroom Guidance Lessons
As part of your child’s specials rotation, I have the pleasure of getting to know, and teach each and every student. Lessons typically last 50 minutes in length and cover topics such as school readiness skills, understanding feelings of self and others, problem solving skills, friendship skills, and personal skills.
Small Group Counseling
A variety of small groups are offered to students (pending COVID-19 guidelines) who may benefit from spending some extra time developing academic, social, or emotional skills along with their peers, and to students who are coping with similar life situations. Groups can have anywhere from 3-5 members and usually meet once a week during lunch or before school for several weeks.
Some students can benefit from one-on-one counseling regarding academic, social, or emotional challenges.
Some of my counseling goals include:
* Promoting positive attitudes among students towards self, family, peers and community.
* Assisting students in learning how school performance relates to future opportunities.
*Developing and delivering classroom guidance lessons that teach skills such as decision making, resolving conflict and respecting others.
* Working with students, parents and school staff to identify learning needs and to design interventions to enhance student success.
* Helping students to recognize and make the best of their abilities.
* Providing support during a personal crisis.
* Helping to create a safe and positive learning experience.
GROWING UP ISN'T EASY! HERE ARE SOME OF THE TOPICS THAT CAN BE DISCUSSED DURING COUNSELING:
* Making friends * Parents' divorce
* Liking myself * Getting along with others
* Being a "new kid" * Abuse
* Learning and responsibility * Stranger Awareness
* Bullying * Drug and alcohol abuse
* Death and dying * Body awareness
* Moving away
* Being honest
Please call or email for any concerns you may have: (859) 936- 8562 , email@example.com